Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Currant and Spice Oatmeal Cookies

I don't know what it's like where you live, but it is starting to get downright cold here in Cincinnati.  I walked home from class tonight in a very cold rain.  Nothing brings out the baker and soup maker in me more then a cold spell.

Last weekend, I wanted to make some cookies to take to a family gathering.  I looked around on Epicurious until I found something I could make with the ingredients I had on hand.

Then I found it.  Currant and Spice Oatmeal Cookies.

Currants are one of those things I buy from time to time for a recipe that never gets made a second time.  And then I have the extra box on hand for lord knows how long.  Don't worry, I checked the expiration date on it before I used them :)  See, you can almost see the date in this picture.

The recipe wanted you to rehydrate the currants using beaten eggs mixed with vanilla extract.  I gave it a shot, but I'm pretty sure it just turned them into fatter currants...I'm not sure it was a crucial step to cookie success.
A few dry currants managed to sneak into the mix without being rehydrated, but it still turned out just fine.
While the currants were soaking, I beat together the brown sugar and butter.  This would have been much easier if I'd used the stand that came with the mixer.  I was really fighting with it.
Here is where I almost ruined the cookies.  It looks finished, right?
I was so convinced that it was finished that I started to put away ingredients while the oven finished pre-heating.  Then I realized something was missing!
You can't have Currant and Spice OATMEAL Cookies without the oatmeal!  I was so glad that I caught my mistake before it was too late. Here is the mix with the oatmeal stirred in.
We had to depart for the Newport is Haunted Tour (more on that later!) right after the cookies were done, so I didn't get a picture until later.  I quickly realized my camera was still on the 'sepia' toned setting from the tour, and decided to have a little fun with it.  Here is a weird picture of me with a spooky Halloween owl!
And, in the spirit of weird pictures, here is a picture that shows off my Halloween manicure, with the cookie.
These cookies were delicious.  They got rave reviews from everyone that ate them.  I will definitely be saving this recipe to make again.  This recipe would very easily lend itself to modification with different fruits or nuts or chocolate chips.  Let me know if you try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment