Monday, August 30, 2010

High Fructose Corn Syrup Anonymous

At some point I started getting used to not having processed sugar.

I started out by following the principals of "Clean Eating" over the last year or so.  I've been careful to cut out products that incorporate High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) into their label.  I recognize that HFCS is the latest 'devil' of why we are overweight.  However, I am somewhat swayed in the favor of the devil on this one.

Hopefully it is not just a placebo effect, but I do think that when I consume HFCS I am hungrier sooner than I would be after eating something that does not contain it.

Recently I've been trying to cut back on my consumption of honey as well.  I am a sugar addict.  I tend to lean towards sugary foods...I just like them.  A lot.  I don't like bitter very much and savory is ok to balance out the sugar...but man, do I love sweets!

I eat a lot of Greek yogurt to help myself get enough protein to keep up with the athletics I enjoy so much.  I find it easier to consume than meat because it doesn't need to be cooked, has a longer expiration date, does better things to my stomach, and you can mix all sorts of things into it.

I like to add:
local honey
fruit-love strawberries. blackberries. banana.
toasted wheat germ
plain (nothing added)

My favorite Greek Yogurt right now is Fage 0%.  This morning I mixed in blackberries and half a banana.  Then later in the morning I sliced in the other half of the banana and topped it with some toasted wheat germ and some of the buckwheaties I made last week.  Yum!

This is my early morning yogurt...I was too hungry to take a picture the second time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment