Saturday, August 21, 2010

Introductory Blog Post

I've been posting pictures of my cooking and food on Facebook for about a year.  I started this blog as a way to get the photos into more of a story format.  Although I liked the convenience of Facebook, I wanted the ability to link photos together in a string with more wording then the captions would allow.

One of the reasons I was reluctant to start a blog is that I wouldn't be able to send picture messages with my phone.  Well, lucky me, the blogging world already realized that I might want to do that and that I'm not rich enough to have a fancy smart phone.  I was super happy when I realized I could have the best of both worlds right here in the blog format I was looking for.

A bit more about me:

I have a standard office job for a large company.  I am fortunate enough to work in a large building with a cafeteria that serves lots of fresh vegetables, both cooked and raw.

I also have some part time employment that takes me away from Cincinnati from time to time.  This part time employment is a big part of why I am not 100% vegetarian or vegan.  We travel frequently and it is just easier to eat the food that folks provide than to work really hard to be vegan or vegetarian.

One of the things I like to do for myself is limit the amount of animal consumption in my home.  That means that I rarely buy cow milk or meat.  I do eat a large amount of Greek yogurt at home.   Lately I've been craving cheese and have been keeping that at home as well.  I enjoy chocolate rice or almond milk mixed with my coffee.

I try to avoid heavily processed foods and focus on cooking for myself.  I avoid corn products as much as I can, although I do eat popcorn.  I try to stay away from high fructose corn syrup, and regular corn syrup as well.

When I am away from home on trips or just out in general, I do not actively avoid meat.  If the restaurant has something that interests me, I will eat it.

My interests:

I enjoy fitness a lot.  I work out in a small group with a personal trainer a few times a week and do a lot of other fun active things on my own as well.

I belong to the local gym and enjoy swimming laps.  I find workouts online and take them to the gym.

I recently completed my first full marathon.  I strained a muscle(s) in my thigh on the 20 mile run, and ran the race anyway.  I am having a long, slow recovery from that injury.  It's taken an unfortunately toll on my ability to work out the way I want.
 
I have a "Giant" brand bicycle that I like to take to the local bike path and ride.  This is put on hold for a while so the leg can heal.

My purpose for the blog:

To share lovely recipes and photos with the interwebs!  

And as soon as I get back from my travels, I will start!

No comments:

Post a Comment