Sunday, September 19, 2010

Eats lately

I'm still giving some thought to my 3 day vegan extravaganza.  It's still on the table, don't worry.  I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to eat!

In the meantime, thinking about it a lot has done some changing to my eating habits.  I'm becoming increasingly aware of what I'm eating and why.  I also enjoyed a few days last week with more vegan eats.

One of the things I'm struggling with is coping with hunger when I'm eating vegan protein sources.  It seems that animal proteins make me more full and full for longer.  I'm hoping this is just an adjustment period...sometimes its hard to focus on work when I keep getting up every half hour for a bite to eat!

Here is a picture of some delicious filling salsa I made.  It consists of:  1 green, 1 red, and 1 yellow bell pepper, black beans, cilantro, and lime juice.  I've been eating off of this all week.  I think the first day I ate it was the best, because I mixed in a block of marinated tofu that I baked.


I'm super excited about the lunch I'm eating today.  It's Sunday and I went in to work for a few hours to get a head start on the week.  I barely have any food in the house and was forced to stop downtown to pick up a bite to eat on my way in to work.

I had a delicious slice of spinach ricotta pie, which was amazing.  I got it at Coffee Emporium and filled the rest of my belly with a brownie from Sweet Peace Bakery and some OJ.  Since I don't usually bother making coffee on the weekends but needed a brain jump start...I also ended up having 2 cups of Chai at the office.  With honey, sans milk.

I wish I'd taken a picture of the pie, because it was beyond delicious.  It didn't help matters much that by the time I ate I was starving to death.

Now...about lunch.  I really enjoy dropping by Park + Vine downtown.  They have a nice selection of pre-made food from Melt in Northside that you can grab and go.  I am going grocery shopping a bit later today, but I needed to eat first so I didn't buy one of everything.

I discovered Park + Vine when a friend told me they carry kombucha tea, since I was suffering from the loss of GT's kombucha.  I stop by there once a week or once every two weeks and grab some yummy pre-made tastiness and usually several bottles of kombucha.

I was pretty excited to try the new flavor of Fab Ferments, pineapple kombucha.  It's really quite delicious and is my new favorite flavor.  Here is a picture:

We had kind of a bumpy ride home and the bottle was foaming all over the place when I opened it..since I couldn't wait for the bubbles to settle down.  This is the first time I've put kombucha in a glass...always figured the bottle is brown for a reason!


I picked a selection of items to munch on for a couple days. 

Green bell pepper filled with cous cous, pecans, and some veggies


Kale salad with a delicious sesame dressing:

And some noodles with sesame dressing.  Did I mention I'm kind of nuts about sesame oil?  I just discovered it within the last year and I don't know how I ever lived without it in my pantry.

I also picked up a "Betterfinger" from Sweet Peace Bakery while I was at Park + Vine.  I tried to buy one this morning at Coffee Emporium, but they were actually just brownies.  I think I died and went to heaven when I bit into this betterfinger.  Its probably good that I waited until after my meal to eat it because I probably would have just eaten kombucha and the betterfinger.  yum yum!

Perhaps next time I'll take a picture of it unwrapped.  haha...It was consumed much too quickly to get a picture once the plastic wrap was taken off!

No comments:

Post a Comment