Friday, September 10, 2010

Squishing Tofu, the old fashioned way


This is a brick of firm tofu.  I've been seeing reviews of the Tofu Xpress on a few different blogs and also found a way to do this at home based on an easy method described in a no frills foodie blog.

I put the little piggy here for a size reference, but I don't think you'll be able to tell the drastic change that I saw unless you try this yourself.

So, why squish your tofu?  Because its full of water of course!  Now, I've been eating tofu for a long time and I've always been happy with it just as it is (well, seasoned of course).  If you squish the excess water out of your tofu, it gives it a nice chewy texture.  I think you will enjoy.

Simply squish between two dinner plates and set something heavy on top!

I let mine sit for a little while, then flipped it over and put the weight back on it.  You probably don't need to do this, but the weight I use is not even and I don't like my tofu to lose its nice rectangular shape!


Here is a side view.  Now you can really tell that it is a bit off kilter.


Here is the finished product.  Much thinner then the original version.  I hope you can tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment