Wednesday, September 29, 2010

We'll start the post off with these delicious raspberries that I got at my favorite produce market.  I just love berries.  I didn't even do anything special with these.  I just ate them out of the package.

I'm trying out a few new things that I picked out.  Here are some pictures:
This is really quite tasty oatmeal.  I use 2/3c of these steel cut oats to 2 cups of water.  Or 1c of water with 1c vanilla almond milk.  Then I cut in one apple and a scoop of peanut butter.  This has been my breakfast for the past week.  Very tasty.
Speaking of peanut butter, I found these cute packets of Justin's at Bigg's.  I tried these 4 to begin with, and then I discovered more delicious flavors at Whole Foods.  I think my favorite so far is Chocolate Hazelnut butter.  I had it on a whole wheat pita and it was delicious.  Very similar to Nutella but without all the preservative and chemical garbage.  Yum.  I don't know that I'd ever buy something like this in a jar.  It's much more accessible in a little packet.
I also tried Polenta for what I think is the first time ever.  It was a recommended accompaniment to a recipe I'll share below.  It's good stuff.  I try to avoid corn for the most part, since its included in just about every processed food made in America.  Even though I liked it, it won't be a frequent addition to my meals.
And I got this nice new tea to try.  It is rather tasty and I've been enjoying it with some local honey.  Probably from Don Popp's Honey Farm, but I'm not for sure.  I think its from another local honey place.

I also got myself these lovely flowers at the farmer's market by Lunken Airfield.  So pretty :)
Now for some food pictures!  I did a lot of cooking in the last two weeks or so, as evidenced by this picture:

Bottom right: Polenta, sliced like sausage and pan fried
Back right:  3 bricks of tofu.  Pressed, marinated, and baked
Bottom left:  Brussels sprouts and carrots in balsamic vinegar
Back left:  sweet potato parsnip puree, brown rice, and olive oil roasted tomatoes with fennel and cannellini beans

Here is a close up of the bean dish.  It was really very tasty.  This was my second go at this recipe and I'm happy with it.  Here is the recipe if you are interested in replicating it.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Olive-Oil-Roasted-Tomatoes-and-Fennel-with-White-Beans-360271

This yummy photo is of the sweet potato and parsnip puree.  Recipe here:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sweet-Potato-and-Parsnip-Puree-104565

This recipe was pretty easy to veganize.  I used water instead of milk.  And I added some cashews for a creamy texture.  It also provided a nice nutty taste as well, which was quite enjoyable.  I'm sure you could use olive oil as a substitute for the butter.  I actually left the butter in!  Its the one food I haven't been interested in giving up.


Polenta.

Carrots and Brussels sprouts.  Looking all yummy and delicious!

And I'll leave you with a photo of some lovely apples.

These were all cut up an sacrificed to the oatmeal goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment