Monday, January 31, 2011

Corn Chowder from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest Cookbook

A little something to tempt your taste buds on a cold, cold day.

Recognize that handwriting?  This is from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest Cookbook.  It's all hand written.  How cool is that?  I feel like I've written about this book before, but I can't find any references so I'm writing about it again.

This is my mom's copy...a gift from my grandmother to my mother when she was 2 months pregnant with me back in the early 80's.  It's a vegetarian cookbook and I believe its from the author who also wrote the Moosewood Cookbook, which I've used for a banana bread recipe in the past.

Anyhow, my mom gave this to me when I was visiting her and showing off my copy of Appetite for Reduction.  I was more then happy to have another vegetable oriented cookbook!  Especially for free.

This recipe starts like many others, with some onions and celery.
Next of course comes some delicious chopped up red bell pepper.  I recently ran out of the red bell peppers from our summer garden (I chopped and froze a lot of peppers), so this one was acquired on a trip to Whole Foods.

This recipe called for fresh corn, but as I made this in Cincinnati in January, alas, we are out of fresh corn.  Instead I used a bag of frozen corn from the market.  Mix this in with the other ingredients and cook down a little.  See the spices on top?  Basil from our summer garden as well.  YUM.

Next is my favorite step for soup.  My favorite soups always seem to require a little blending.  So, I put half of these goodies in the blender.
Before

After

The last step is to make the soup a little creamy.  This soup called for condensed milk, though I'm sure you could easily veganize it using soymilk or something similar. 
Here is the final picture.  Terrific, delicious, homemade corn chowder.  Definitely a winning recipe.

This recipe made 4 servings, which were all lovingly consumed in a 2 day period.  :)

1 comment: