Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Homemade Caramel Corn

I was inspired to make homemade caramel corn a while back, after I read this post on A Dork and his Pork.  It was tasty and delicious, but something made me want to look for another recipe.  So I went to ye old faithful recipe database.  And promptly found a recipe for caramel corn with BACON.

And so I present: Bacon and Cashew Caramel Corn

First you must make up some popcorn.  Follow the directions in the recipe...this is not microwave popcorn.  You make this on the stove!

Don't let the plastic bowl fool you.  I made this in a skillet.  I've also been known to make my own homemade microwave popcorn in a paper bag, but that is a 'how to' post for another day!

Next I chopped up some cashews.  Chopping probably wasn't necessary, but I felt like I should.




This step is probably the most surprising out of the whole recipe.  You bring some heavy whipping cream to a boil and then you put in an oolong tea bag and let it steep for 15 minutes.  It brings this amazing depth of flavor to the caramel.  I never would have thought to do this, but it really makes this recipe spectacular.


For the caramel, I used white sugar, white, and some good old corn syrup.  It made really cool bubbles while it was cooking.



Mix up the bacon, cashews, and some seasoning.  Then dump the caramel on top.  No picture of the dumping since it was really hot.



Here is the finished product.  This recipe is a WIN.  I also made another batch with just peanuts instead of bacon and cashews.  Very tasty.

1 comment:

  1. Now this sounds REALLY good. I bet the bacon and the caramel tastes really good together.

    I never in a million years would have thought of putting tea in caramel.

    ReplyDelete