Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Recipe Sharing Time

First off, welcome to my blog.  I just shared the URL with a bunch of people, so I should have some readers now...more then the one or two I had before.  This is a food blog, in case you didn't pick it up from the web address.  You can read more about it in the About Me section.

I had one of my favorite picky eaters over for dinner this weekend and I made one of my favorite recipes...World's Best Lasagna.  I don't make this very often because lasagna isn't a food I crave very much.  However, it is great to make for company. 

A few notes:
This recipe halves well.
Don't use as much salt as they say you need

Here is a picture of the sauce.  Notice that this is not a vegetarian lasagna (I have an AMAZING recipe for that, that I'll share next time I make it).  I think the sausage really makes the flavor.  And the fennel seeds.  They are a must have.
Ricotta cheese...I mixed in a few dashes of nutmeg, per a few recipe reviewers suggestions.  It's a bit yellow from the egg.  I cut this recipe in half since I wasn't feeding a family of five!  But...how do you half a raw egg?  Well...you decide it doesn't matter and you just put the whole thing in anyway.
These are mozzarella pearls.  I typically used shredded mozzarella because its cheapest, but I got a really good deal on these.  I figured..the cheese was all going to melt down anyway.  This was a great choice.  It was much thicker when it melted then it would have been if I had used shredded cheese.  So...don't be afraid to use cheese that isn't shredded!
This is a photo of the lasagna building process.  I used a spatula to spread the ricotta over the lasagna.

I had a decent bit of ingredients left over, so I made these little guys too.  I picked the containers up at Goodwill for cheap...and they are super cute for mini-lasagna, baked macaroni and cheese, pot pie, etc.

So..Funny thing about this lasagna.  It was so good when it came out of the oven that I ate it and didn't take a picture.

Blogger Fail.

If you want to see what the finished product looks like, there are plenty of pictures of it on AllRecipes.com.

2 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful! I love the idea of the mozzereal 'pearls'. Time to invite mom over for dinner....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being the 'picky eater' - I can vouch that it was a very tasty dish.

    ReplyDelete