Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Smoky Grilled Tempeh

So, this is tempeh.  According to the package, it is pronounced: "Tem-Payh."
I bought this with the intention of making Seitan with Spinach and Mushrooms...not realizing that this was tempeh and the recipe called for seitan.  Whoops.  Still, funny.

Once I re-grouped from that mishap, I still needed to make something for dinner.  So, Veganomicon being the bible of all vegan goodness, I looked up tempeh in the index and found the recipe for Smoky Grilled Tempeh.

Here is what I used:



The recipe actually calls for maple syrup, but I happen to not have any for a few reasons. 
1.  I don't eat many pancakes these days, and if I do, I don't make them at home
2.  Most maple syrup contains mostly High Fructose Corn Syrup...as the primary ingredient! 
3.  The kind that don't are much more expensive, especially for a girl that doesn't cook her own pancakes

So, as with other recipes, I added honey in as a substitute.  This may or may not have been a good move, since maple flavoring is common in smoky barbeque type items.  But, whatever.  It was worth a shot.

First, you boil the tempeh to get rid of bitterness.  Since I've never actually had tempeh before, I'm not sure that I did this correctly or not.  Here is my photo-proof:

Then you mix up the marinade and let it soak for an hour.

I wish I could tell you that there is a finished product picture, but there isn't.  However, it looked just like the way it looks in the marinade bowl...just a little more brown.

This wasn't my favorite recipe.  It was good enough to eat while I was starving at work today.  I don't really like the texture of the tempeh.  And the smoke flavoring made everything a bit weird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment