Saturday, October 16, 2010

Sauteed Seitan with Mushrooms and Spinach

I attempted to make this recipe from Veganomicon back at the beginning of October.  However, I didn't realize I had tempeh and not Seitan (Say-Tahn...a low fat, high protein, firm textured meat substitute).  I got a pretty good laugh out of it when I figured it out.  So, if you are interested in Smoky Grilled Tempeh, my consolation prize recipe based on the ingredients I actually had, visit this post.

The first step of making Sauteed Seitan with Mushrooms and Spinach is making Seitan.  Here is what I used:

The best part about this recipe is that I'm pretty sure I re-created the soup base for Ramen noodles.  Apparently, all you have to do is mix vegetable broth with soy sauce.  It smells just like Ramen.  I saved every last drop of the broth, even froze some for later.  I love Ramen, and now I have organic broth and can make my own.  Yay!

Here is everything getting mixed together:
And formed into little patties, ready for cooking.  Next time I think I will try to shape it like meatballs.  heheehee...
Then you simply put it in the broth you made and you boil it.  You can do this in the oven, but it was easier for me this way at this time.  Maybe next time I will try the oven.  So, when they are done, they look exactly the same.  Though I think they expanded in size a lot.  It's hard to tell from my "before" picture.
Now, you may think I'm done because it looks like I have little non-meaty hamburgers.  But you are wrong!  I still have to make it sauteed and add mushrooms and spinach!
Slices seitan, sliced mushrooms, slice onions
Here is everything cooking in the pan.  Thyme is such a wonderful flavor on mushrooms.
And that, is the delicious final picture of my dinner.  This made two or three meals.  I also had some leftover rice from the Wild Rice Yam Pancakes that made a nice side dish.

1 comment:

  1. how you gonna update the blog and not include the picnic? lol

    ReplyDelete